My car’s a total loss, but I have a personalised registration that I want to keep?

If your car’s written off, you can transfer your cherished plate to another car, or hold onto it if you want to use it again in future. If you’d like to do this, please let us know and we’ll keep hold of the written-off car temporarily until you confirm the transfer is complete. 


If a car is disposed of with a cherished plate still on it, the plate can’t be used again. 


You can apply to take a registration number off a vehicle via the direct GOV website:

Did you find this page helpful?

Great to hear!
What did you like?

Sorry to hear that!
Tell us what we can improve

Thank you for your feedback!

Please note we are not able to respond to any feedback directly.