Does my policy cover me to drive other cars?

If you are aged 25 or over, then in a majority of cases we will cover you to drive other cars, although there are some exceptions to this rule, for example some occupations won’t be covered. 

Please don’t assume that you are covered without first checking your Certificate of Motor Insurance. When you buy a policy with us, we will email this to you and can also be accessed within your secure customer portal. If your policy includes cover for driving other cars it will be shown under section 5 of your Certificate of Motor Insurance and will mean 1ST CENTRAL will provide Third Party only cover for any accident involving the car, while you’re driving it. This covers any amounts you are legally liable to pay if someone else is injured or killed or their property is damaged, but not any damage to the car you’re driving.

When you’re getting a quote, we’ll tell you before you buy whether driving other cars is included.

The following conditions must be met for this cover to apply:

  • You must obtain prior permission from the owner of the car
  • You are still in possession of your own car, it is still insured and it has neither been damaged beyond economical repair nor stolen
  • The other car is not owned by you and is insured by another insurance policy to drive on the public highway (and is not a rental car, or hired to you under a hire purchase or leasing agreement)
  • You are not named as a driver of the other car on any Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • You are not using this cover to remove the car in the event it has been seized by, or on behalf of, any government or public authority

Did you find this page helpful?

  • Yes

  • No

Can't find what you're looking for?

Please get in touch

Thank you for rating this answer.

We'll use this to help improve our service.